Meditation can help you achieve peace of mind, calmness, joy, greater energy, vibrant health, positive relationships, spiritual evolution and fulfillment in life. Sounds pretty good, doesn’t it?
The proven health and wellness benefits of a regular meditation practice are epic. And it goes far beyond mere stress relief – although that alone is a huge benefit in our day and age. When you sit in meditation for just 10 minutes a day, every cell in your body is filled with more energy. In fact, your complete body physiology undergoes a change with meditation. And as the level of the energy in your body increases, you naturally enjoy more enthusiasm, peace, and joy.
The physical aspects that are altered by meditation look like this:
- Anxiety symptoms are reduced by lowering the levels of blood lactate
- Blood pressure is lowered
- Tension related pain, such as joint and muscle problems, ulcers, insomnia, and tension headaches, is reduced
- The immune system functions more efficiently
- Behavior and mood are improved due to increased serotonin production
- Energy levels increase
Because meditation can alter the brainwave pattern and activate the Alpha and Theta states, a regular practice can help you achieve amazing mental and spiritual benefits:
- Intuition develops
- Creativity increases
- Perceived problems become smaller
- Happiness increases
- Emotional stability improves
- Peace of mind and clarity increase
- Your mind sharpens and focus naturally increases
- Awareness of an expanded consciousness grows
Why It Works
For centuries, the benefits of a regular meditation practice have been well known by yogis. Now, they have been proven by scientific research. Neuroscientists have found that meditation enables the brain to move from high frequency brain waves to lower frequency wave patterns. The lower frequency Alpha and Theta brain patterns activate specific centers in the brain. These lower wavelengths give us more time between thoughts and enable us to choose which thoughts to invest in skillfully.
- The Alpha state is characterized by brainwaves with a frequency from 9 to 13Hz. In this state of consciousness, you feel more peaceful, grounded, and calm. The neural integration of the brain hemispheres is also more balanced in an Alpha state.
- The Theta state is characterized by brainwaves with a frequency from 4 to 8Hz. In this state of consciousness, the verbal-thinking mind transitions to a visual and meditative mind and, thus, a state of deeper state of awareness and wholeness is achieved.
- The Delta state occurs at brainwaves with a frequency from 1 to 3 Hz. This usually happens when you sleep, but with a consistent mediation practice, you can reach this state while you’re fully awake.
How to Meditate
The best way to begin a meditation practice is to sit and simply focus on your breath. Because the mind and the breath work in tandem, when you slow your breath, your brain waves will slow down as well.
Consistency is key to an efficient mediation practice. It is recommended that you meditate daily and to do it first thing in the morning. It has been proven that shorter meditations on a daily basis are more efficient than long sessions done on an irregular basis.
You should meditate in a comfortable and relaxed position, in a quiet place where you are unlikely to be disturbed. Try to meditate in the same place and at the same time to turn your meditation practice into a fully established habit. In the early stages of your meditation practice, you can sit for as little as five minutes. As you progress, you can gradually increase your daily mediation time to half hour or even one full hour. It is also important to bring good intentions to your mediation practice, such as patience, kindness, compassion, openness.
Daily meditation practice is not a quick fix solution. It is a lifelong skill that will bring huge benefits to your life, your relationships and your health. Just remember to manage your expectations and have patience. The many benefits of meditation will not fail to materialize!